Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Locust Silhouette

Warm weather on the east coast makes for some fantastic nights to just sit out the deck, have a drink, and just relax. That is precisely what I was doing! I figured a fantastic, productive week at work deserved as much. My backyard is lined with trees behind my fence. There are two types of tree that grow back there. One is the immediately recognizable maple. The other is the Robinia, more commonly known as a "locust." Locusts make up the majority of trees that hang over into my yard. I never really knew what they were called. I guess it was because there is nothing really overly spectacular about them. I remember one person describing them as "tall, overgrown shrubs." Trees like maples, elms, willows, oaks, and beeches all seem to have very distinguishing features whether it be the bark, leaves, or the seeds it drops. Pardon me please. I seem to be straying. Every June, without fail, I will have to clean up all of the small, white petals that this tree drops in my backyard and in my pool.

While sitting out this past weekend, I did notice a pretty cool looking sky. I took the original shot without really tring to include any of the trees. However, I quickly realized that the locust silhouetted very nicely against the evening sky. I then took this one to include more of the tree but also with enough sky for some color.

I haven't done silhouettes in a while. If anyone has any opinions, please feel free to comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment